In the beauty industry, customers are the heart of your business. You may be having the best facilities and ambience, but your business is going to go nowhere if you do not have a steady set of clients visiting you. Every salon/spa and spa owner has just one goal – to get more customers through the door.
If you have clients walking in and out of your salon/spa every now and then, you’re pretty much sorted. But what if the number of clients visiting your salon/spa is diminishing? That’s a matter of concern.
Did you know? It is six times more expensive to win a new client than retain an existing one. Also, returning clients spend 67% more than new customers. In the light of these statistics, it is very important for you to implement strategies that will grow your modern salon/spa and increase the overall bottom line altogether.
In this blog, we’ve thrown light on seven methods that will come handy in growing your modern salon/spa. Whether you have a standalone salon/spa outlet or a chain, these methods will prove effective in the long run.
- Get more clients through the door: The first step towards growing your salon/spa is to attract clients. One common mistake most salons/spas make is that they waste time, money and resources attracting the wrong type of client. When you run a salon/spa, you must know who your ideal client is and thus devote your time and effort in attracting them. These customers are highly profitable because they love the treatments you offer, buy regularly from you, are easy to service and are constantly referring your salon/spa to their friends. You can also:
- Create a referral program: In the salon/spa business, referrals are everything. A survey reveals that 80% of salon/spa owners get most of their clients from referrals. Referrals come from word-of-mouth recommendations from your current client base. As a salon/spa owner, if you want to increase the number of referrals you receive, you must keep your existing customers happy. You can create a referral program and incentivise customers giving you referrals. You can run a whole lot of promotions, offers and discounts to keep your clients coming. Use social media and email to promote your referral program.
- Target men and children: Every salon/spa markets to women. Cut through the clutter and market your salon/spa to your male clientele. Brand your salon/spa in such a way that it offers something for everybody. You may also include a kid’s play area in a corner to keep children busy while their parent is availing a service.
- Unique marketing opportunities: Most salons/spas refrain from running marketing campaigns because they find it expensive or impossible. However, not all strategies are expensive. You can resort to cheaper alternatives such as email marketing, SMS marketing and social media. You can also regularly post blogs on your website giving clients beauty tips or DIY hacks. Doing this is a great way of reminding your clients that you’re still in the business.
- Upsell products & services: Upselling salon/spa services are easier and less expensive than finding new customers. If you want to see better numbers on your upsell, you just got to do it. To excel in the art of upselling, you need to create a short pitch. When upselling, always put your clients first. Shape your pitch around the benefits your client can receive if they buy a particular product. Another way of upselling is by offering free samples of products/service. Most clients are likely to purchase a retail product from your salon/spa on their next visit if they’ve used the sample. Upselling is a tried-and-tested way to grow your salon/spa. It not just improves profits but also enhances your relationships with customers. It gives them a feeling that you truly care about their wellbeing.
- Take your services up-a-notch: With stiff competition in the beauty business, you have to incorporate ways to stay ahead of the curve. Your clients too want different experiences every time they visit. Following run-of-the-mill practices will make your salon/spa come across as old-fashioned. Thus, to stay in the game, you have to constantly keep up with what your clients want. Keep an eye on past client history. Use these insights to go an extra mile while offering services to clients.
- Feedback matters: You can only grow your salon/spa when you know what a client wants. Not all clients are comfortable voicing out their opinion. Therefore, send out emails to clients after the service asking them what they liked and disliked about your salon/spa. Include a series of questions that will actually help you realise your goals and improve your salon/spa experience for customers.
- Add value to salon/spa services: Most salons/spa straightaway increase their prices to grow their business. However, this is not going to work. Instead, clients will start visiting their neighbourhood salon/spa. A salon/spa owner must focus on adding value to the services. This can be done by offering a little extra for the same price, 3 for 2 offers, implementing loyalty schemes, cross-selling and happy days. Don’t make a client feel cheated; instead give them a little more. However, while doing this, don’t end up suffering a loss.
- Identify your market: In case you have a diverse clientele, find out the type of people who bring in the most business. For example: Is it a working woman or someone of a specific age-group? Once you determine the type of people who bring in the business, analyse the common characteristics between them. We understand that you may want to pamper every single person who walks through the door, but decoding the type of people who are interested in availing your services will help grow your salon/spa business. Doing this will also help you identify the loopholes before it’s too late.
- Reward your staff: Finally, you owe the success of your salon/spa to your staff. They are the pillars of your business. It is because of the quality of service they offer, customers visit you often. Thus, every salon/spa owner must implement a program to recognise their employees for the same. Offer rewards from time to time, set targets and goals for them and reward them every time they meet it.
If you truly want your salon/spa to succeed, follow these seven methods. It is the perfect recipe to grow your business and improve bottom line. During your journey, constantly identify things that are hampering the growth of your salon/spa and take steps to fix or eliminate them.